Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Week 8 - Day 2

What a weekend!  I have been MIA only out of sheer busyness, not curled up in a fetal position on my couch.  The entire weekend, including Friday was all about preparing for a concert with my choir on Sunday.  It is so nice to be back in the music world.

Friday was sort of sad in a way.  I had to go to the mall to get my "uniform" for Sunday: a long black skirt, a plain "fancy" black top, and black shoes that might be comfortable standing for several hours.  It's not fun to go to the mall when you're buying something you don't really want.  It does, however, make for a very efficient shopping excursion.  Plus, the trick becomes, buying things that, while you do need them, you may consider using them at other times.  It was a successful trip and I'm actually wearing the shoes I bought for the third day in a row because they're really cute.  But, it's painful for me to pass buy so many beautiful, colorful clothes.

Saturday, if you recall was a GORGEOUS day... that I spent cooped up in a day long rehearsal.  We rehearsed in this lovely old church nearby a big square park.  Walking to rehearsal we passed this park filled with farmer's market vendors, honey, eggs, produce, so many delicious foods.  It reminded me of living in NYC again and it gave me some pangs.  Being "single" these days has really made me miss being in NYC.  As much as I love Philly, it's just... not NYC.  I miss the walkable, ease, and accessibility of things to do.  The biggest problem with NYC is I'd have no money left living there and finding a nice place to live that doesn't feel like a closet almost ruins the whole experience.  I am missing parts of my life when I was living on the UWS.  That was the best place I've ever lived... minus the psycho roommate, lack of space, and barely being able to make rent.

I also spoke with my husband on Saturday.  The last phone call before radio silence.  He seemed overwhelmed and sleep deprived but determined.  I tried to keep his spirits up, it's so hard, I miss him too.  The poor guy had to completed his entire riflery requirements in a weekend in order to catch up to his new unit.  He did catch up though and he's back on track.  Again, if anyone out there wants his new unit address let me know.  He needs all the love and encouragement we can give him.

The concert on Sunday went really well.  Some of the music is very difficult in the sense that it's a lot of long, high quiet notes and it's not always the most engaging.  However, the result is something so musical.  One of the pieces we sang was a Haydn Mass and that was so much fun to sing.  I am also the luckiest girl in the world, because even though my husband wasn't able to hear my debut with this group, my parents and their significant others all made it out to support me, showering me with love, flowers, and taking me out to dinner to celebrate.  I felt so loved.  I have the best family on Earth.

Yesterday, which should have been an icky Monday was an amazing day... well, after work of course.  I spent the evening with my grandparents having dinner, talking, laughing.  I just feel so lucky that I'm able to drive over to their house after work and have a weeknight dinner with them.  That's something I never had living in NYC and I'm so grateful for it now.  It's a good week so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment