Monday, December 16, 2013

Week 4 - Day 1

Another weekend filled with Christmas activities and family.  It has been so wonderful to have my family nearby to help fill the voids left by my husband's absence.  Filled with cookies, tree trimmings, unsound architectural structures made out of gingerbread, babies, food, and love.  I'm very lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life.

Sunday was brunch at my Dad's house, cuddling with my niece, decorating the tree, and stuffing my face with waffles.  (My Dad makes the best waffles.)  I also came home and wrapped almost ALL of my gifts.  Was I watching Christmas movies whilst a-wrapping?  Nope.  Grey's Anatomy reruns, I just love watching fake surgeries.  No judgement please, there was a Santa hat and a roaring fire involved.

I'm waiting for a few more gifts to arrive and I need some more gift wrap stuff, tags, etc.  But I think I'm going to be done before my solider comes home!

Today after I work, I volunteered with MANNA.  MANNA is a non-profit organization that cooks and delivers meals  and provides nutrition counseling to neighbors who are battling life-threatening illnesses such as cancer, renal disease and HIV/AIDS.  I spent 2 hours working with cooks prepping food in their kitchen.  It felt so nice to be able to contribute something positive that really makes a difference and even for a bit of time embody the true spirit of Christmas.

As I was on the train home, I realized, one year ago today, my husband proposed to me.  I'm a little embarrassed that it took me the entire day to realize this, but happy that I had an entire train ride to think about it.  I wanted to ask him what he remembers about the day, because I'm sure he has so many more memories of what we did earlier in the day than I do.  He proposed to me during our annual Christmas concert that we both sing in.  The whole thing is on DVD and I can't watch it still, it makes me cry.  Happy tears.  

My husband worked so hard to put together that proposal and surprise me.  I wish I could spend today with him talking and laughing about it.  Instead, I look to my left hand and smile remember the first time I saw that ring, except I didn't really see it at first, I was too busy looking at my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment